Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: bykfixer's 1997 SH restoration project  (Read 34114 times)
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

John 3:16

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 04:45:42 pm »

A couple of ideas are in motion. If they pan out it'll be posted in this thread. Trial and error.
Door trim refurbish and some other stuff....

In the meantime an atts delete adaptor plate is causing me to turn my focus in a radicaly different direction for a little while.
The plate is not fastened well and some play in the half shaft bearing has resulted. I'm hoping it's the bearing and not the splines.

^^ The correct style atts delete/half shaft add adaptor.

^^ I have this...

^^ Hence the issue.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:32:43 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 07:43:15 am »

Well the saga of ole '97 continues. When one decides to restore a used up modern car, there will be hassles. But that goes with the territory.
If the idea was to build a car, this one would not be good platform. Some would part out this one. But I've seen cars in a lot worse shape become items on the barrett jackson auction block. So, wth, right?

Some rain and some sunshine occured recently.
The deluge was learning my mechanic closed his business and retired to a living of oil changes and headlight restores. The learning curve just went from fairly flat to a cliff.
So much for fixing the atts delete plate. Awaiting response from a seller at another site for a new plate.

The spring sunshine was the door trim looks fabulous and my table leg cap shift boot top looks pretty good against the q-ball and white stitched leather.

While the car is parked I started investigating non working items in the driver side door.....
Here's what I found ⇩

^^ Ugh! I wanted to cry. But when the going gets tough and all that...

My (former) mechanic, now advisor whenever I can find him gave me his first Snap On creeper he bought circa 1978.
Great decoration for the garage. He gave me his pennzoil window sign too.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:33:36 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
ogsmakdade
parts hoarder
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 06:21:16 pm »

progress pics!

DEPOG (Delaware Prelude Owners Group)
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 07:18:04 am »

^^ ok... what little there is lately...
It took a whole week to get the female pins out of the clip.

Oh, and my new atts delete adapter plate is on the way. Scheduled to arrive in a couple of days.

^^ this
All sticky and gooey messy like.

^^ to this
After downloading Honda tsb 00-099 (an acura how to fix broken wires in terminals) I dialed in a technique to removing pins. The hope was to make this repair still attached to the car.
I got a couple of pins out and more wires broke inside the pins. So it was cut off and brought indoors.

^^ then this
That grease made it difficult to see what was happening with the locking points. More wires breaking instead of pins coming out.
A good dose of cleaner from radio shack helped.

^^ magic in a bottle. $10.99

^^ currently this
Finally got all the pins out. I drilled out the last couple that were all mangled and broken with a 3/32" drill bit and picked out pieces.

^^ the tools used

^^ the vise, an easy chair and lots of light.

^^ and the borg gear
The jewelers lenses and clip on light are well worth the less than $10 investment. Light from sears and lenses from harbor freight.

^^ repair tools in stock
A soldering iron (900° max) for tight spots, various aids for soldering and good wire strippers.
They were all on sale too. About $50 total.

^^ shrink tube for final touches.
Differing sizes are incase the skinny stuff don't fit.

Now I await the Honda connector pin replenish kit (p/n 07XAX-002000A), that Honda calls terminal update kit. It's 25 of each of the nine sized pins they use. About $75 from hondapartsnow. It was either that or 18#'s of pins, a heat gun and other stuff for $275+..
USPS tracking indicates the package is in New Hampshire.

Once the kit arrives I'll post part #'s for each size pin.
I had ordered the connector catalog, but the warehouses are out of stock and honda has chosen to stop production. I'll eventually find what their (new) tech's use hopefully.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:35:35 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 01:22:45 pm »

Coming soon:

^^ These for the crimping the wire to the small pins.
A pair of anvil/former sizes.

^^ these are fine for say 10-14 pins.
The one anvil/former is a bit too big imo for the 16+ small stuff. They're great for crimping the insulation to the pin in the sizes I'm doing to this door harness.

^^ The pins.

^^ block off plate arrived.
The byfixer won't happy with chipped black paint. Krylon to the rescue.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:36:36 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 05:12:14 pm »

The Mac tools crimper/pliers arrived.

A test crimp.

A thread in the stats/specs section details the pins that came in the replenish kit.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:37:14 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 05:24:50 am »

The door is alive again. Yaaay!  Cheesy

It was ugly to start with and got uglier along the way. But yesterday after replacing what seemed like half the fuses in the car I plugged in the repaired connector. I moved the car to wash it recently and 18 live wires all bunched together were all having an electric orgy.

With that outta the way, the plug halves were fastened together and various items were tested. No electric windows.
It seems drilling out a pin or two damaged some keepers so the female pin gets pushed out of it's slot when shoving a to b. A slight bend of the male half and a chunk of toothpick beside the pin and viola. Lectric windows.

The most difficult part was getting the male half of the plug to fasten to the door. You push it through the hole towards the fender at a slight angle so the tits on top go through first, twist it downwards and a keeper on the bottom fastens it. Mine would not go. So I got out my mini buck knife and whittled at the plug. Tits became bumps and the keeper was reshaped from a right angled triangle to a wedge. Oh and I chamfered around the edges. Sucker popped right through after that and stayed in place.

Female half was plugged in, green/white wire pin stayed in the slot, and the weather resist grommet popped right on.

^^ the courtesy light actually works now.
So does the speaker, all four corners of the passenger mirror, the electric locks annnnd the windows.

^^ this is pre-whittled.

^^ no longer packed in that corner.
But a big mess to clean up. Worth it imo.

^^ done & done.  Cool

Thanks for the inspiration and occasional morale boost OGS
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:38:10 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
ogsmakdade
parts hoarder
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 08:01:28 am »

you got it pal, glad to see everything is working properly and OEM to boot!

the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 05:57:52 pm »

Coming soon....

Begin drive shaft fix.

A couple of things to do and then the replacement of the half shaft and atts delete plate will begin.

The I can focus on restoring the finish on the car. And details like modings and gasket restore can begin.

Hopefully mid summer will be when the engine bay cleanup can resume from the first time I had the car.
Somewhere in there brake work will take place, whenever the budget allows.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:38:30 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
ogsmakdade
parts hoarder
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 07:30:06 pm »

this car will be happy when you're done fixing her up

escape
Baller Status
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2014, 02:17:16 pm »

You will be assimilated.

That connector made me cringe so hard.

Lazarky:  mi vtec se ase BBWAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

2012 Honda Fit Sport
1997-98 Honda Prelude Base
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 02:26:14 pm »

Resistance is  futile loco

Ole 97 will be happy to be more than a pollen collector in a driveway.
Her owner will be happy when she can be driven around the block w/o fear of the driveshaft falling out.

The half shaft bearing retainer is a Picaso now. I cut off an ear. So both ears are on one side now.
Some general cleaning of the used half shaft/bearing retainer and a test fit to the block off plate took place yesterday.
Parts list is nearly fulfilled, tools have been acquired and soon I'll take the plunge for an attempt at a diy repair I would ordinarily pay my mechanic to do. But he's enjoying the retired life. And so it is....

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:39:27 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014, 07:02:01 am »

^^ Got me some official back woods, tobacco spittin',right-wing, gun tote-n, racist homophobe license plates.

Elspectro n I went to DMV and made it official. He owns the black n tan, I own the SH now.

^^ I think they look right sharp.

As I was applying the front one an elderly neighbor was hobbling by on his afternoon walk. I look up to see this frail looking  gentleman with two canes waving me over. He said in a time worn voice 'son, those are some beautiful license plates, but why are you putting them on a Jap car?'. He had fought in Korea and his pop had fought in WW II. We spoke of how America just aint the same anymore, turned the conversation to solar yard lamps,  cell phone tech and a bunch of other typical life in America 2014 topics. He hobbled away and I smiled at how well this 84 year old veteran had adapted to the quickly evolving daily life here in this great nation.

Soon after my son Elspectro came over to get the plates that were on the SH, and put them on his car. Turns out they were the plates from his first car (a prelude) and he swaps them to each car as his life evolves.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:40:08 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
Wing8806
DEPOG

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 08:26:52 pm »

Lookin good man!
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 03:45:04 pm »

Thanks Josh!  Smiley
Not much work on the car lately. Just move it to shade, give it a good bath, drive around the block to dry it and thwart square eagles, then back it back into the launch pad, and replace the cover.
Soon to embark on the atts block off plate fix. All parts and peices are in stock. But I'd prefer not to do the work solo. I always like to have a human nearby in case the car falls while I'm under it.... scheduling has me working on it solo if I do it soon. It'll wait.

The evolution III meterial the cover is made out of is shedding all over the car. So each time it's removed it looks dusty. So I get out the California duster and spruce it up. This past weekend I did the weekly dusting and drove to the craft show where my wife was a vendor. Car went 4000 miles with the plate flopping around. Another 4 or 5 won't kill it.

I wanted to show off those sporty new plates and the recently revealed blue sparkles in the paint. I parked where about half of the expected 5k people would see ole unit 6095. Lot's of people gawked at the car as I eased it into the show.
I suppose part were thinking 'what a [email protected]$s automobile that is' while the other half were wondering wuthehell is that 'scr scr scr scrrrrrr' sound is from the rear. I gotta fix that brake scraping sound!
preludecentral.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: