Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: bykfixer's 1997 SH restoration project  (Read 39441 times)
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

John 3:16

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2015, 08:02:18 pm »

^^ Another batch of parts clear coated and getting 28+/- day cure
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:40:05 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
ogsmakdade
parts hoarder
Administrator

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2015, 11:17:06 am »

excellente!

DEPOG (Delaware Prelude Owners Group)
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2015, 05:29:18 pm »

Aaaaaaand the ground hog missed again...

2/16/15
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:40:23 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2015, 05:18:23 pm »

Update:

Snow melting nicely. Thinking maybe soon I can play.

^^ oh yeah, pavement showing.
2/22/15

Aaaaaaaaaand...

^^ spring postponed 'til further notice.
2/26/15

Ground hog: it's what's for dinner.

Went out later and did some shoveling, as typical. But also some extra was done to avoid having a 3' high wall of ice around the car.

Before snow plow passed.

^^ car/driveway blocking wind row prevention

After snow plow passed

^^ extra work paid off!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:41:16 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2015, 10:29:38 am »

Well 2015 is rolling right along. It's March already. It turned back to winter south of Delaware about mid way through February. Before that I had her inspected and found out the oil pressure is fine. Like new in fact.

So instead of parking the car back at Pop's Shops to just sit there, I chose to leave it stored on my street. At least I can gawk at it from my front door.

While I type this I found out I was recalled to work...as of today. There goes goofing off this month too. I was going to start the ball rolling on installing parts this week. But there went that. Not a bad problem.

Parts that have been re-hab-ed and sitting indoors curing.

^^ stuff from the junkyard car in early January.

My favorite was the EGR solenoid bracket rehab.

^^ before

^^ after re-paint.
At a glance the dif between original and new (custom blend) color is hard to see. The serial number remaing was my goal.

^^ re-hab-ed EGR valve turned out decent.
Brass coating was very fragile. Very. A cotton rag was causing it to de-laminate. So a gentile polish with wadding polish and some clear coat later, it looks way nicer than the one on the car.

^^ the "W 19" remained.
A repair to the "1" was required. It'll be unseen when installed. But I know it's still there.

^^ the sticker has begun de-laminating while setting indoors. Huh?! Not sure how that'll be treated yet.

A couple things installed before winter phase II set in.

^^ stealth checkered dead pedal and hood latch cover.

^^ re-furbed clutch resevior bracket.
Hose clamps to be replaced throughout the engine as parts they fasten to get replaced.

^^ replaced this. Screw rehab in progress.

^^ checkered trunk latch.
Only visible inside the trunk. Visible to most side recieved a satin finish very similar to the factory look.

^^ center cap mod. Some tweak around the edges too place before install.

^^ valve stem cap mod.
They were to be white with black stripe, but that made 'em look like storm troopers. Nah.
Lug nuts will be powder coated to match.

^^ and a tag along pal...
He's been riding in my work truck for 15 years  and has at least as many miles as the car..maybe double that as he typically rides 20-30k each year. Not anymore. He may see 1000/year now...probably a lot less.

I've got a distributor on the way if the op didn't flake on me. That's slated to be rebuilt and restored as well as a throttle body, fuel rail and injectors from the junkyard car. Couple that with a host of new parts n pieces and good weather just around the corner and this car will have lots of fresh items getting installed real soon.

^^ at some point this will be tackled.
For whatever reason my Evolution car cover doesn't play nice with the clear coat on the spoiler. Each time I removed the cover in 014, the spots would be larger. Coincidence? I dunno, but I stopped using it despite.
The thinking it to coat it a satin or flat black along with some replacement (read non winged) handles and possibly the molding around the fender mounted corner lights.

^^ more Texas parts.
There are other parts from Prelude1897 boxed up and awaiting their turn for either install or re-hab.

At some point the door moldings will be replaced with some obtained back in 012. Then I can close the dang door without this...

^^ keeps popping out of the groove.

I have some door speaker wires to modify in a way that some Kenwoods will be fastened to the existing Honda connectors without a splice taking place. But I haven't invented a method (or seen it done by another person) yet.

I haven't decided which way to go on the headlights yet. No LED or HID stuff are planned. Me thinks an old fashioned restore will take place, or some new housings by Depo perhaps.

^^ but this won't do.

Although the year is young, me thinx based on last years progress combined with road construction hours the stuff above will likely take me most of what remains of 2015.
In the meantime I'm contemplating another motor. But between keeping her running and more resto-mod progress that may not be a practical goal. There's still enough life left in the SH block that bar-ing a major incident or major oil consumption begins I'll likely put that off a while longer.
I wanna turn my focus to helping Elspectro go through Lucky next year. So I'd prefer to knock out a big chunk of the 673 remaining items to fix on Ole #97 this year and turn her more from an old hag who barely drives around the block to a hotty who can travel vast distances on a whim.
The odometer is 12 miles from turning 238,000 miles. Maybe by July 4th the goal of seeing 238k on the odo will have occured. Last year she was about 150 from achieving that goal. Hmph!
And new brakes...I got the rear calipers to quit sticking. But the rotors are pitting from sitting so much.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:44:48 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2015, 08:43:55 am »

She made it to 238k miles.

^^ CEL...ugh!
I was like "naw man, seriously?"
Got home and pulled the code. Knock sensor.

^^ just before 238k

Now maybe she'll reach 240k, but probably not this year...
I'll keep her close to home until I find the water leak and get that oil lamp thing solved. Quick jaunts down the back way to a pizza joint with the wife, or maybe to a local junkyard are about all the roads she'll see for a while.

But in the meantime I'll be working on the engine bay, and soon molding replacements begin..

^^ these await some shin-etsu grease and install.

EGR re-hab has begun. Did the hoses with new except the plastic line across the fuel rail.
And then the valve will be re-habed as well.

^^ before

^^ during

^^ after

I unplugged the battery while using water around connectors. Upon re-plugging no more CEL.
Drove around some and beat on the engine a little thinking knock sensor thing would re-occur. Nope.
Hmmmm, wtf is this a sign of?  loco

Ole #97 is under cover until further notice.
April showers bring HAIL!!! Oh, and lots of pollen.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:46:28 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2015, 11:53:52 am »

^^ when I first got the car.

After today I can honestly say the east coast of the engine bay is looking a lot better. Still some rusty screws to correct, along with some minor items that'll be replaced...eating this elephant 1 bite at a time. But I see mucho progress lately.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:47:03 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
Wing8806
DEPOG

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2015, 06:37:46 pm »

Lookin good Mike!

Here's a photo from the archives from when I did a factory resto in mine

I've tried multiple looks - like painted heat shield, shield removed and sanded header, shield removed silver header, shield removed baby blue header LOL        I feel the silver heat shield in the pic above was my favorite look.  Held up very well - until i kept removing it
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 06:39:43 pm by Wing8806 » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2015, 04:15:39 pm »

Yours looked as good before as mine does after. Better in fact.

There are lots of parts ready to go, but sooner or later that rusting ceramic coated header will have to be addressed. Michael gave me his oem one and heat shield.
I've considered a similar shade of gray you used with the word/symbol a darker color or maybe even in "red" to create a psycological effect of it being hot.
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2015, 07:02:28 pm »

Got things from the Wings hoard.

^^ pic don't do these babies justice.

So time to get ole bessy shined up before install. Otherwise the handles will be the shiniest part of the car.

^^ first some compound...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:47:45 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2015, 04:49:22 pm »

Ended up scrubbing off that meguires wax with 3m compound, then using Liquid Gold.

^^ the weapons
A millwalkee 12 volt, meguires polishing tool, various 'grain' micro cloths for rubbing off the products and polishing, cotton rag for buffing, 3M ultra rubbing compound, Mothers Liquid Gold and a 6' ruler to check progress.

Once done I'll add TR3 to a hidden area to see if it can be buffed as shiney as the wax...cause that stuff adds a tough and long lasting layer of protection over an ancient clear coat. If it dulls the shine I'll put it on the bottom 1/2 of the car.

^^ hood was by far the worst place on the upper portion of the car...loox much better now.

^^ shiney

^^ cloudy day yard stick test passed.
I'm holding a 6' ruler at 3' in the pic.

^^ the rest should be a lot quicker.
Was gonna say easier, but scrubbing off crud and rubbing/buffing the finish isn't easy.
I'm only applying/working in the products with the drill. Rest is being done by hand.

^^ this was about a week ago.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:49:13 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2015, 04:12:27 am »

This is why I buy my H swag from Staples promotions...

^^ big ole box full of cushion for 2 hats, a couple of flashlights and some phone cradles.

^^ oh, and a shamie cloth.

^^ they treat ball caps like little baby bird eggs.
S&H is on par or less, prices are good, shipping is fast and many times they have items before the dealer gets 'em.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:49:50 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2015, 10:29:28 am »

Project mega-shine update....

Introducing: TR3

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ePedjzubJWc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ePedjzubJWc&rel=1</a>

^^ before

^^ after
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:50:43 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2015, 08:10:03 pm »

Operation mega-shine is in the home stretch.

A bit of wax to apply, then remove excess from the cracks n crevices...then onto mega molding makeover mania, starring Shin-Etsu grease.

Thanks for the tips DEPOG member D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:51:04 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
the bykfixer
still plays with cars
True Luder

« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2015, 09:04:05 pm »

Operation Mega Shine: Mission Accomplised.

Mothers California Gold and TR3 really brought out what's left of a once dazzling finish.

^^ moldings and trim done along the way.

^^ hood turned out better than expected

^^ these guys can stand down now.

^^ new cover for summer use

^^ new ding resistor strips installed.

^^ happy Memorial Day
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:52:10 pm by the bykfixer » Logged
preludecentral.com

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: